Postpartum Care Kit & Printable Checklist

by - Saturday, November 07, 2020

 Postpartum Care Kit & Printable Checklist

As I am preparing for my own postpartum care, I started making a care list that anyone could use, edit and print!
You can Pin or save the image for later, or visit the link for a printable version


Clothing

Everyone has different taste when it comes to nursing bras, so here's a few options
Honestly, I didn't wear jeans or real pants postpartum for probably months. During my pregnancy I'm wearing these. Other good options are these and these!
Something to consider would be easy nursing options to sleep in. I'll be packing this nightgown in my hospital bag. If you don't like the gown option, here's a cute pj set
This is where I'd suggest getting a splurge option and a budget option. Your panties might get ruined during your postpartum recovery, but you still want something comfortable to be in. 
Not going to lie, I LIVED in a robe the first couple weeks after coming home from the hospital. 
One and Two are both great options. 
And then under my robe I usually wore a nursing tank for easy access to pump or nurse. 
I like these: One, Two, Three, Four


Medications/Self Care

Learn from my mistakes and get yourself some nipple cream right away. If you're dealing with worse problems, contact your OB/GYN for a prescription APNO (All-Purpose Nipple Ointment)
Pain Reliever Spray for your medicated pads. I delivered vaginally, so your care if you had a c-section will be different. 
At the hospital, your doctor will recommend what pain relievers you should take 
The hospital will send you home with a ton of goodies, but if you need more, consider these cooling packs
Take your stool softener. You may think you won't need it, but I already had a tear and didn't want to make anything worse for myself. 
Per recommendation from my doctor, I continued taking my prenatal vitamins after birth. 
In case you have an infection (I had both mastitis and thrush) I recommend taking your antibiotics with probiotics. Or a big ol' cup a yogurt.
Again, the hospital will send you home with a ton, but you will continue to bleed, so get a few more so you don't worry about running out. 
One more thing to add to your maxi pads are these medicated pads. Just throw em on like salami on a sandwich. 

Emotional/Physical Care

It's important to start researching pediatricians for your baby. You can visit an office without committing to it. And on the day of baby's arrival, you'll tell your nurse to notify the pediatrician you've chose to come say hi to baby!
When you arrive and get settled, let the nurse know you want to have a lactation consultation. You can bring your breast pump to learn how to use it, but they help with all sorts of issues. 
They say, "It takes a village," so yes, find out who can be available for you before, during, and after baby arrives. Clean dishes, drop off food, laundry, any thing and everything that can be done to help out. 
Plan for your wellness 6-week checkup at your OB/GYN office. 

Breastfeeding Essentials

Be sure to contact your insurance regarding a breast pump and they could cover part or all of the cost for a breast pump! I have both the Spectra (from my first pregnancy) and just got the Willow
I prefer these reusable bamboo nursing pads since the disposable ones or other materials irritated my skin too much. 
Treat yo self! I like my insulated water cup to keep my drink cold. 
Yum! I loved these lactation cookies. I didn't bother getting the mix, so I bought the cookies premade and really like these. 
I have the Boppy Nursing Pillow. Not everyone likes using one, but My Brest Friend is another good option. 

Toiletries

▢ Maxi Pads, these are a personal preference
▢ The peri bottle I got from the hospital was pretty basic, so I like this Frida Mom bottle that points up. 
▢ I suffered pretty hard from postpartum hair loss, and didn't deal with it well. This time, I'm preparing myself with Living Proof Shampoo and Conditioner

Miscellaneous/Optional

I made a few freezer meals and wish I had made more for myself. I liked the convenience of being able to throw something in the oven or crockpot. 
I recommend having a journal. Whether it be to brain dump at the end of the day, or to write down questions for your doctors or keeping track of soiled diapers.

You May Also Like

0 comments