If I Could Repack My Hospital Bag

by - Saturday, August 25, 2018

If I Could Repack My Hospital Bag

Like most pregnant women, I packed my bags in preparation for heading to the hospital. Here's how I would've done things differently.


Pillows

I know this sounds like the weirdest thing to bring to the hospital, but seriously, the pillows provided at the hospital are terrible. I was only in the hospital for about 2 days, but I couldn't imagine staying longer and trying to get comfortable with the hospital pillows.
Besides the pillow that I would lay my head on, I really wish I would've brought my nursing pillow. At the time, I already had a Boppy Nursing Pillow but I didn't bring it. And after using a Brest Friend Nursing Pillow at a later lactation consultation, this is what I wish I had with me. The nurses tried to prop me up to breastfeed Ryan with all of those limp, flat, terrible hospital pillows so it was difficult to recreate that same position at home and it was just uncomfortable.


Comfortable Clothes for Dad

I was so wrapped up in everything I wanted to have for myself, I didn't spend much time in deciding what should be in an overnight bag for my husband. Poor guy had to sleep in jeans for two days, didn't have a pair of flip-flops, and nothing for entertainment except for his phone. If I had to do it over, I would've packed him some pajamas, a couple of baseball magazines and maybe some snacks. A nice thing about the location of the hospital was the food delivery options he could choose from. Meals at the hospital are only free for me, so he could either suffer with me and have hospital goop, or choose from about 20 restaurants that delivered food in less than 30 minutes!

Robe

My robe was a must-have for me. I received this Silky Kimono Robe as a present for being a bridesmaid in my sister-in-law's wedding and I'm so glad I packed it in my bag. It's soft, cute, and has pockets! The hospital gown I wore was cumbersome, not flattering, and uncomfortable. Although, I wore the hospital gown during my delivery, once I arrived in the Recovery Room I immediately switched to this robe.





Short-Sleeve Onsies

I don't know why I packed a long-sleeve onesie.... It had been over 10 years since I last changed a diaper, I didn't know how to swaddle a baby, let alone know how to stick a newborn's arm through a long-sleeve! And it's MAY! I can't go back and understand why my mommy-brain thought it was a good idea to pack a long-sleeve onesie in this North Carolina heat. So, depending on the weather when you have your baby, it might be a good idea to pack a short-sleeve onesie.




Toiletries

The hospital will provide you with everything you need for recovery, but this is a luxury item I wish I had brought. The first day at the hospital I was so exhausted and in discomfort that I didn't feel like standing up for a shower. Big Mistake! Because the next day when I finally took a shower it felt sooo good. But because I didn't shower, I wish I had packed some of these Neutrogena Cleansing Towelettes to remove any makeup/oil on my face. I know when my family visited me in the hospital they understood why I looked like a train wreck, but I still wanted to freshen up a little bit.



Hairties

Duh! Bun hair, don't care. But I should've brought more! Now that I never have time to do anything, throwing my hair up in a bun is my go-to "hair style" now. I prefer the no crease ouchless elastic hair ties, but any clip or tie was a necessity in my bag.



Going Home Outfit

I knew that I wanted something comfortable to wear on the trip home, but I didn't expect that my yoga pants were not comfortable enough! I really wish I had this maternity dress. I still had a belly after Ryan was born and this dress would've been perfect for leaving the hospital, relaxing at home and nursing the baby. Some women say you shouldn't pack any clothes for your stay at the hospital because it'll get ruined. Well, nothing of mine got ruined, and I'm glad I brought my own things. 

You May Also Like

0 comments