Congratulations! You're pregnant....so when do you tell everyone?

by - Wednesday, August 19, 2020

Congratulations! You're pregnant....so when do you tell everyone?

How exciting right? You can't wait to share the happy news with everyone you know and love! So why wait? 


Who should I tell first? When can I tell everyone else? How should I tell them?

To give you better advice, here's what we did for both babies.

<span>Photo by <a href="https://unsplash.com/@camylla93?utm_source=unsplash&amp;utm_medium=referral&amp;utm_content=creditCopyText">Camylla Battani</a> on <a href="https://unsplash.com/s/photos/pregnant?utm_source=unsplash&amp;utm_medium=referral&amp;utm_content=creditCopyText">Unsplash</a></span>
Photo by Camylla Battani on Unsplash


Who Should I Tell First?

Well, I think most importantly, your partner should be first to know. After I confirmed both of my pregnancies, I was too excited to be creative with how I told my husband. It's important to discuss together when you're comfortable and who you're comfortable with breaking the exciting news to first.

When Can I Tell Everyone Else?

This is a tricky question. Some people can't wait to tell everyone, and that's ok! The special thing with that is if there ends up being complications, this group of people will be your biggest supporters during that time. Others prefer to wait until an ultrasound has been performed between 7-10 weeks. While some want to safely wait until they are in their 2nd trimester or after the risk of miscarriage has gone down significantly with time. 

On a side note, if you do tell anyone right away, it's important to advise them if you want the news to stay private or not. This is exciting news, and it can be hard for some to keep this secret to themselves. 

Personally, I chose to make the news public to everyone after our first ultrasound. Close family and friends heard the news first, and then I made a post on social media.


Tell My Boss?

It'd be a good idea to look over your employer's policy for maternity care and possible leave time. Once you've told your boss, and worked out a plan, then I'd say it's green light to tell coworkers! 

How Should I Tell Them?

Oh boy, there are SO MANY WAYS to surprise people with your pregnancy announcement. Pinterest is a great resource for ideas, if you don't mind taking the time to sift through posts. Depending on the time of year, your personality and budget you can get really creative. 

I've told Everyone, Now What?

I started on my baby registry right away. I wanted to fine tune what was necessary, what was luxury, or items that groups could contribute to. That way, if anyone asks in the meantime before your baby shower (if you have one) you'll be prepared to answer what's needed.

Cons of Waiting 

You may lack the support you need during tough times in your first trimester.
If your job is labor intensive or physically demanding you may be risking injury by not informing your employer.
News about your pregnancy might come from someone else other than yourself.


All things considered, you'll know when the time is right to share your happy news. 
When did you tell others that you were pregnant? Did you have a create ways to telling people you were pregnant?

You May Also Like

0 comments